Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Real South

First of all I feel I need to apologize. Kansas I'm sorry for the bad rap you've been given. Clearly you are so much cooler than Wyoming, I mean you may be a little flat but at least you are green!

I was pretty sure we had entered the south today. The climate changed, suddenly I became sticky just by stepping outside. The landscape changed, we went from rolling plains to lush jungle like scenery and we started seeing signs for the Dixie HWY and Confederate reenactments. Our waiter at dinner tonight told us not until we got to Tennessee or lower 'Missoura' would be in the south. He then proceeded to tell us about how he being from Louisiana was amazed sometimes driving through states like Mississippi to see what takes place. "Hard to believe some of what goes on is still allowed to happen in the United States". Gulp, if that is his opinion as a southerner what am I going to think? I guess you'll have to wait to find out.

We passed over many, many "rivers" today. It so cute/lame what they consider to be a river down here. It must have been because they hadn't yet seen the Mighty Columbia when they started to name the creeks and streams that we've been passing over. They tried but I am disappointed each time I look over the bridge to find a dry "river" bed, how cute.

We did see one REAL river today the Kaw River, now that is what I'm talking about. 


We drove for what seemed like forever, passing over into a new time zone and everything, though really it was just 11 hrs or so. We laughed most of our way through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri (as they say in the north) to Jim Gaffigan's new book "My Dad is Fat", I would highly recommend it.

Tomorrow we are meeting up with our road trip buddies for an hour before they catch a plane back to Washington. We are leaving SUPER early so we can see them off. They have been so kind to help us in our endeavor. Nashville here we come.


No comments:

Post a Comment