Monday, August 5, 2013

4 States 5 hours

We started the day at the very dark hour of 4 am. I don't remember the last time I had to wake at 4, I try to block out those mornings. After a very sleepy walk to the car we set off through St. Louis, crossing the Mississippi and leaving Missouri. We wanted to be sure to see Brad and Susan before they left today.

We watched the sunrise as we crossed through Illinois and finished out our morning by driving through Kentucky and Tennessee, crossing the both the Ohio and the Tennessee river. Who knew you could get so much accomplished before noon?

There are the Clarks in the small white car and there is downtown Nashville.

We finally got to use the walkie talkies today and most importantly we finally got to caravan with our road trip buddies, just for an hour or so but it was still fun. After dropping the Clarks off at the airport we set off for our hotel. Hoping they would let us check in early. Remember we started our day at 4 am today, we were really looking forward to a nap. The hotel staff was very kind, letting us check in early and upgrading us to a room with a Jacuzzi spa, I wonder if I looked as weary as I felt? It's quite possible, but I accepted and even enjoyed a bubble bath.

We are looking forward to exploring the city today. So far we've been to lots of places but haven't really seen then. We roll into our destinations somewhere in the 9 o'clock hour, check in, treat ourselves to a hot shower and then hurry up and go to bed knowing we have to repeat the process all over again tomorrow. Today we break that trend, our final push is completed and we have just a few hours until we arrive 'home' tomorrow.



I have mixed feelings about arriving in Alabama tomorrow. At one point yesterday, I think around exit 198 in Kansas, I was ready to turn the car around. No, no, no I don't think Tuscaloosa is for me. This may have been the me who was tired of driving ALL the way across this very big country. Ready or not we are driving down tomorrow and I think I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment