Thursday, August 22, 2013

Strangers

Some moments I really feel like the new girl. Like yesterday at an estate sale I popped into. It was overloaded with people and cars. To avoid a backing up car I stepped out of the way onto the grass and right into a community of what I can only presume to be fire ants. I say this because I instantly felt pain on my foot (it is now covered in little red bites). I started stomping and shaking, bending over to brush away the ants. I'm sure I looked ridiculous shaking my leg in the air. Lesson learned, stay on the concrete.

Other moments I feel like things are as they should be. Like when I don't have to use the GPS to get from point A to point B (thanks Brad and Susan for leaving yours) because I know my way around.

New or not we are making memories and friends as our days continue. I went to the Doctor's office today, a new experience for me in  AL. I had such a nice conversation with my doctor, all about faith and church. I don't normally strike up faith conversations with strangers but people here are so chatty and friendly and talking about beliefs and faith seems to be run of the mill.

Folks are friendly most of the places I go, a stranger (not a strange man) chatted me up yesterday in the health food store, Tuscaloosa's one and only. I was browsing my Quinoa options, there are two choices by the way, and he started asking me if I knew how to cook it and then proceeded to give me a tour of the store and the rest of the grains he used. It was fantastic. I could use more of this southern hospitality and openness in my life. Good thing this is our new home. *Note, there is one tiny whole foods store, thankfully they carry some of the ingredients we have come to love- Tahini, Quinoa and Flaxseed but if we ever travel to another town we are stocking up on the goods they don't carry.

Dan is also finding joy in his days here. He has students from Columbia, Korea, Japan, Ethiopia, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and a few others. They are all in his classroom and he didn't even have to get on a plane.  Pretty great for a guy who loves to travel and meet all sorts of folks.

Pretty good third week if you ask me.

This may be obvious but I wonder what happens if you shop here?




1 comment:

  1. Love your stories! We have free shipping from Amazon for a year..the biggest health food store ever. Love you :) Mom

    ReplyDelete