Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Age Gap

You know what I'm ready for? I'm ready for the day that my peers come back to church. I know it's not very trendy to want to get older, to welcome the years that are passing but for this I am more than ready. I'm ready to be in my 30's, the time I anticipate many folks settle down, have kids, etc. I'm ready for them to fit the stereotype we have all come to know.

"Oh wait, I'm in my 30's and now I have kids....I can't raise them without church"... And then they'll come find one. Maybe this is wishful thinking?

I'm ready for the day when I'm not the youngest one in Sunday School Classes or Bible Studies or on Mission Trips. Having stayed in the church circuit through my 20's I can safely tell you that this has all happened to me. I've gone on the mission trip and had the 20 year gap between me and everyone else. I've sat through the Bible Study with all the retirees and this last weekend Dan and I went to Sunday School together only to find we were the young couple again.

I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining because all of these things have made big impacts on my walk with Christ. I'm thankful for the opportunity and would still participate again, even given the age differences.

Some studies do validate my hopes and say folks will come back to church, but when they are good and ready. After they've traveled and moved around and lived a little. But I'm missing them now, I'm missing my peers who can relate to my stage of life, to my relationship with the Lord and who are our age.

Your thoughts, views?

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you and Dan have stayed in Sunday School.there's lots to be learned there. Remember that you are an encouragement to the older folks in the class-another reason to keep on going. Also an encouragement to the teacher.
    The ones who don't come are the ones missing out and that is so sad. Stay faithful and true to the Lord. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting commentary Steph. Like Aunt Margaret said, keep up the good work, you are the ones who will reap the benefits. You are the ones who will not have to look back on those lost years and lament the what ifs. Rewards go the the faithful. Kevin/f-i-l

    ReplyDelete