Friday, May 31, 2013

Southern Values

For those of you keeping track at home our departure date is just 8 weeks away. There are quite a few mixed feelings that go along with that statement so we'll just leave it at that for today.

On a different note I've been reading another book about the south (thank you Powell's Books). This time Mississippi. Written by a gal who lived most of her life in New York and LA the author shares about her nine years living in and married to a man from Mississippi. I'm only halfway though the book but so far I'd say we are moving to a place similar to Africa. And since some days I miss Africa this move should be great!(I, of course, am operating on the assumption that Mississippi and Alabama are similar just like Washington and Oregon are similar).  The author's description of values in Mississippi sound very similar to what I experienced in my two years overseas.

1. People valuing relationships over time and money- always more time to be had but you, my friend, are important.

2. The authors explains the whole front porch concept (which I still think is odd, especially since I've seen only a handful of people who actually use their adirondack chairs or padded rocking chairs they put out front). Apparently in Mississippi people use the chairs they put out. Allowing them to escape the heat of the house and the rays of sunshine and the best part, they get to engage with their community. After all community is the key to happiness, to pleasure and to the life of a Mississippi native. And also to a my friends in Africa.

3. Still learning about community and the ways of the south the author pitches the idea to her husband that they should fence off their yard and create some privacy for themselves but he squashes the idea telling her it would be considered "unfriendly". Sound familiar to anyone else? Putting a fence up around your house or your property in Nigeria would also be considered unfriendly- trust me, we considered it but knew it wouldn't sit well with our neighbors. Their houses and yards are, for the most part, open to one another because what's mine is yours and a fence doesn't express openness.

I'm wondering what else Mississippi culture has in common with my overseas travels.....

No comments:

Post a Comment