Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to become educated

When we first started exploring the idea of moving I'll admit I didn't know much about the place we'd be going. But thank goodness for internet! We've been doing our homework and soaking up as much info as the day will allow. I went to the library and checked out travel books, history books and stories of other people's adventures. Right now I'm reading "Travel's with Charley- in Search of America" by John Steinbeck. Yes, the man who wrote "Of Mice and Men." In Steinbeck's book he realizes that although he is an American and lives in America he doesn't know much about the rest of the country outside of the state he lives in. Sound familiar? So he sets out with his dog and his typewriter (it takes place in the 60's) in an RV he has custom made on the road trip to 'discovery'. Not quite an adventure from 2013 but still interesting. We've also been watching movies about the South, I'm hoping they've been dramatized for Hollywood but nevertheless they are entertaining. I'm sure people from Alabama would just roll their eyes at us: trying to prepare for "life in the south" through a movie. Silly I know but we've been watching them anyways: movies from the 60's and the south's love of football, movies about southern pride and even a few episodes of Duck Dynasty. I'm wondering what folks would watch if they were moving to Washington- Frasier?  If you were to choose a movie to help you prepare for a move to Alabama what would you watch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment