Tuesday, April 5, 2016

How to prepare for life overseas: Bread making

Previously I've mentioned that we are waiting. Waiting for what you might ask? Waiting on the government. You can laugh now, I give you my blessing. We've applied, the royal we here, I'm just playing a supporting role, to work for the State Department teaching English overseas beginning in the Fall. There are a lot of details that I'll save for later, stories and exciting what ifs but that's for another time. 

I've lived overseas before and am desperate to begin the prep work should we be accepted. The location could be anywhere really. So since packing for Eastern Europe or South America could have very different ramifications on our wardrobe choices I'm holding off on the delicious yard sale scores I'm sure are to come.

What I did decide to focus on was bread. For many months now we've been making our own bread but in a bread machine. And since I'm pretty sure we won't have one of those, wherever we end up, I wanted to master, or at least feel comfortable, making our bread from scratch. This is proving to be more difficult than I first thought. After extensive research, including making and eating lots of bread-yum, I decided to perfect my sourdough. 

Though it is sometimes frustrating, but still yummy, I haven't given up yet. I did purchase a baking scale and am determined to make a loaf similar to the picture included with my recipe. I've been close but not yet close enough. I have to keep reminding myself that it is just bread, it'll be eaten in a days time anyway but I want to do this well, to be proud of my creation, so I keep baking. Below is only half the story really, if I could bottle up the smell and send it to you I'm sure you're mouth would be watering as mine is now. 

See the separation on top? That is called an ear, a good sign of a great loaf!


I added a bit of rosemary and oregano to this particular loaf, so tasty.

1 comment:

  1. that looks so good. I was never very good at kneading bread. Perhaps this will inspire me to start again. Am interested in where you will be assigned if you are accepted.Aunt Margaret

    ReplyDelete