Monday, February 3, 2014

Not from here moment 272

It was a cold winter's day, what better to have on a day like this than chili and beer bread. This may sound a bit heathenish but I promise I had only the best intentions in mind. (clearing of throat)

 On the way home from church we stopped by Winn Dixie (grocery store) to buy some beer. (again I promise good intentions here) I have a bread recipe that calls for beer, I'm sure the alcohol is baked out leaving a sweet tasting flavor in return- though I can say nothing for the calories. 

We chose the cheapest beer on the shelf, nothing fancy just an essential ingredient. We walked up to the cashier and were told we could not buy alcohol before noon. It was 11:30. 

Enter nervous laughter as we try to explain we aren't from here.....we've never heard of this rule before....somehow I thought they might take pity on us. But no, it is a real rule. Tuscaloosa County only recently (as in a few years ago) made it legal to buy alcohol at all on Sundays. I guess we should be glad we don't live in a dry county otherwise how far would I have to go to enjoy a decent loaf of beer bread?

I'm pretty sure the cashier was not as amused as we were to discover this new tidbit about our new home, little did he know he would be part of our next blog post.

You're not from here are you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I e has your bread and it is delish! What a funny law, oh Tuscaloosa you amuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was worth the troube. The bread was scrumptious

    ReplyDelete